Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Update for Jan/Feb

Hello everyone! 

Wow! Its been a long time since I've done an email update, and a blog post. But life here has been busy like it always is. School is busy with students eager to learn, not only about their lessons but God as well. The kids at the orphanage are thriving, and are full of life as always, and wanting to love. We've also gone though some changes at school with our american principal going back to the states, and having a Haitian take over the school, its great seeing the changes that are coming with that and his dedication to the school and the students. The new principal hasn't really affected my building and my job, now him and I work together keeping the three buildings in sync. 

This past February, I got to witness some things I never dreamed of seeing in my life, which have opened my eyes. A pastor from Port-au-Prince came to St. Marc to have a crusade, wanting to free people from their misery I guess is a good way to put it. It lasted two weeks and things were brought out in the open about spiritual issues here in Haiti. Please keep and open mind when reading about this. Every one knows that voodoo is a big part of Haiti, pretty much all Haitians participate in it, even if they are "members" of the church, even the pastors do. And because of this no one will give you a straight answer about it, when you ask them. And a big part of the voodoo culture here is being demon possessed, and zombies. Its hard to describe this stuff, to you, because we are all ignorant to this stuff, it even happens back home, and we just don't realize it. Let me explain what a zombie is, with the best of my understanding. A zombie isn't like what we see in Hollywood, its really a soul of a dead person that has taken up residence in some one's body. It is put in the other person's body by a witch doctor, I'm not sure how as I have heard several stories how it is done. The main story I have heard is with a mixture that includes poison of a puffer fish. So, it isn't really what we picture  zombie to be like, they look just like you and I, and are walking all over Haiti, acting like a normal, for the most part. And there is a way to get the soul of the zombie out of a person, but its scary, messy and hard work. The kind of work the churches don't want to deal with. Also it is time consuming, as some times they can have more than one soul inside them. But this pastor that came for two weeks, was willing to do it. Every night there was close to 10,000 people that came out carrying their lawn chairs, for worship, a sermon, and deliverance. People would bring their loved ones that they wanted set free to the crusade. In front of the stage, there was a roped off area with tarps on the ground, ready with pastors, and security guards. Here is where they brought the possessed. It was like looking into the pit of hell. There was shrieking, wailing and moaning coming from there. The spirit would cause them to run, and be vicious, their hands and feet would be bound together with strips of cloth, and they be rolling around wanting to be free. There would be fighting and hair pulling. It was mostly young women, little girls and teenagers, that had gone to the witch doctor wanting something, or their parents taking them there wanting protection for them. As I said it was like looking into hell. But people were healed and saved, and delivered. One girl had over 1000 demon spirits that they casted out of her, another was a zombie, that they set the soul free, then she could see her family's faces, she could pick out the facial features of any other person, but not her family and friends, she thought their thumb was their nose. Also I witnessed a crippled lady walk that should never have been able, even if she was in Canada or the States. It was amazing to witness. 
In other news we have a new addition to the orphanage. A sweet 2 months old baby named Dyouna pronounced Juna. She is an amazing baby and hardly cries. But her favourite thing to do is spit up on me and only me. All the kids are doing great there, and I love spending Friday afternoons with them, just loving and playing with them, and going for walks. 

Well thats about is for now,Its Karnival time this weekend, which is Haiti's version of Mardi Gras, so it's going to be nice and loud all weekend, with every one blaring their music as loud as they can. 

I leave you with some more pictures of nice warm Haiti to make up for the snow every one is getting


Love Crystal

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI Crystal-
My name is Angela and I found your site back in Sept 2010. My church, husband and I traveled to Haiti for the first time in Sept 2010. Our church feels called to the St Marc area. I googled Jeanton, as that place really stole my heart (that's how I found your site). I pull up your site frequently for updates and for the chance to see Haiti again. We will be in the area again- Jeanton, Pont Tambour, Port Neu, Confraternity church, and Bamboo La Porte next week.
Anyways, I don't know specifically where you are, but appreciate your site. The latest post was really good info. We are partnering with a new church there soon (which is surrounded by voodoo (apparently more than others). Thank you for sharing, taking the risk of "being weird". You are right, these things are so foreign to us (even though they take place here in US too). God bless you as you share Jesus with Haiti! Angela