Saturday, August 21, 2010

The past week

The last few days have been a whirlwind of an adventure, between going to church in the mountains, and adventures in St. Marc. Church was amazing it is this tiny little church of about 30 people in the out door, sectioned off area in the tiny community. To get there we first had to drive off the main road about 10 minutes up the steep trail that was all rocks and holes, which I was told has improved according to Chris. Once there we walked a few minutes through the mountains to this tiny village that always welcomes Chris and Leslie with open arms, and takes care of Olivia from keeping her entertained to braiding her hair. After a very long service of which I was welcomed and didn’t understand they sent some one up a coconut to get some for us, which I drank from for the first time, unlike Olivia who is a complete pro at it compared to me. Once back it was a day of relaxing watching Olivia’s silliness and also Noah and Abe’s craziness in the place called Haiti. First thing Monday morning it was off to St. Marc to Barb’s house. Honestly her community is overwhelming at first because they all know you are here to see Miss. Bawbawa, and instantly they want to know all about you hoping you speak the smallest amount of creole, some even know a little bit of French which helps me get by, with out Barb translating I would be lost. Right after Leslie left it was instantly getting to business, which for Barb is checking on various people and children around the neighborhood, for fevers and other medical things she can help with which for me meant meeting everyone in her area. Then once that was done we hopped on a couple motorbikes, and headed to a village off the beaten path, to check on various people there, and enjoy the kids as the walk with us to all the neighbors. Also up there I was handed a baby to hold, and she was the most precious thing in the world, the weirdest thing was that the mother just handed her to me to hold, Barb said it was to make sure that I loved kids which is important to them, also this was the first moment I have cried up until this point. I made me realize how lucky we are to have everything handed to us back home. It was interesting as we met a witch doctor which is a common thing around her I am learning, I’ve seen a few voodoo acts in various ways of healing, which everyone denies that they are related to voodoo in anyway. It was neat to see what an impression Barb has made on everyone that she meets along the way. Finally on the way home I got to meet the children at the orphanage that Gary and Carolyn help operate along with Bev and Al. They children there are so sweet, and they all come from this community. Though this is not a orphanage by what normally defines one, its more like a foster care system in which the kids stay and learn and grow in until they are adults, which means that they are not adopted at all. Here there are 6-8 boys (not totally sure on the number) ranging in age, and as well as twin girls who are three years old and are the cutest things around. Whom I already love to go over and cuddle. Tuesday was a St. Marc day to do various errands around town, one of which included going to visit some one at the hospital. I honestly can’t describe it, other than the people there are desperate. It broke my heart to see all the people sick, hurt, or barely hanging on to their lives waiting to see a doctor, a nurse or anyone that would help them in the hot sun. We went into the Emergency Room, which if you complain again about the lack of attention back home, has nothing on what it is like here. It consisted of 8 beds crammed into one tiny room, where a couple doctors and nurses are trying to do there thing, but also the family is trying to keep them comfortable and cool by fanning them, since there is no AC and the family has to take care of the patient’s hygiene and food during their stay at the hospital. In one corner there was a child being held down while screaming covered in what looks like vomits and diarrhea, right there I wanted to cry. After we were lead through the doors to another room, to see the man we had come to see. In there, there was many beds squeezed together, with the patients, nurses doing their best, and family trying to take care of their loved ones. It was heart breaking being there. The man we had came to see, was some one from the village we went to the day previous, we were told that he was working in St. Marc and had fell out of a tree breaking his ribs, and becoming paralyzed. Once there and talking to him we found out it was true, and the worst part is in a country like this if you can’t help your self you are just a burden on your family, especially living in a mountain village like he does, plus his wife is 8 months pregnant. I had to hold my self together as a child was screaming in pain behind me, as two white nurses worked on her, and Barb prayed for this man. I have never really liked hospitals, but I have never been more happier to get out of all the suffering, which I could do nothing to help. Coming back we relaxed in the afternoon, enjoying the semi-cool breeze, and the gift of electricity (EDHEDH shut off, but after going out a second time and coming back to still a nice cool night and once again the gift of EDH. Making it perfect for sleeping after once again attempting to bathe in a bucket, having the challenge of trying to wash all my hair. Once again we have gone to the hospital and up to the mountains, to see the people that are there, each time is a different experience, though I am able to now go into the hospital with out the thought of throwing up, and only a couple dozen people a day ask me to marry them, so I can bring them to Canada. Survived my first week, so lets hope the rest is a breeze

No comments: